Dish first tried first to disrupt the deal between Sprint (S) and Clearwire (CLWR) by offering $3.30 a share for Clearwire's outstanding stock instead of the $2.97 price offered by Sprint. Since Sprint owns more than half of Clearwire, and the latter has already accepted financing from the carrier, there is only a small chance that Ergen's bid would be successful in that instance.
Today, Dish topped a Softbank Corp. offer for Sprint by offering to buy 68% of Sprint for $25.5 billion, countering the Japanese carrier's bid of $20.1 billion for 70% of Sprint. The strategy is clear as Dish wants to embark on a transformational play as a quad-play provider, offering nationwide bundles of in and out-of-home voice, video and data services via an extended broadband network that would leverage its combined cable and wireless assets.
Frost & Sullivan's research clearly indicates a positive correlation between subscriber stickiness and the amount of services offered in a bundle: The higher that number is, the less likely a user is to move away from that service provider. But one of the key elements of that bundle is wireless service, with subscribers being more likely to switch bundles in order to obtain the mobile service they desire.Based on this, Dish's offer for Sprint makes perfect sense, as it will be able to offer a quad play of video, high speed data, wireless and voice (as a VoIP, over-the-top type service).
Dish has amassed a significant cash reserve to the tune of $10 billion, which would be used to make about roughly 68% of its $7-per-share offer for Sprint. The other 32% would come in Dish stock, with the company also assuming some debt. The total represents a 13% premium on Softbank's bid. Ramifications: The Dish bid for Sprint is not conditional on the Clearwire acceptance of the Sprint offer, so there shouldn't be any hurdles to be faced on that particular aspect. That said Clearwire's 2.5 GHz spectrum holdings can play an instrumental role in the new Dish/Sprint company.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV