BEDMINSTER, NJ ( TheStreet) -- Amarin (AMRN) bulls are finding it more difficult to explain away the stock's weakness. Some of the rationalizations for weak Vascepa prescription numbers are bordering on the bizarre.
Steve Rosenman, the uber-est of Amarin fans, took to his Seeking Alpha "Instablog" Wednesday to insist that real Vascepa prescriptions are likely 300-400 times the number being reported by IMS Health. How does Rosenman know this? Because people are spending time on Amarin's Vascepasavings.com web site.
Using web analytics you will learn that 47% of visitors to the site stay there and visit multiple pages. They visit for at least 2 minutes. These metrics far exceed industry averages.If you further look at the hit count, you can make some pretty interesting assumptions, like if just 5% of visitors to the page signed up for Vascepa savings, you add 500 more prescriptions per week. 5% is pretty low for such highly targeted messaging and for something that will be free. Kick that to 30% and you see where I'm heading. Actual scripts in the 300-400X area (vs. IMS) is likely what is going on now. I'm looking forward to hearing Amarin executives boast about sticky web eyeballs on their next conference call. -- Reported by Adam Feuerstein in Boston. Follow @AdamFeuerstein
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV