NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- PepsiCo (PEP) and Mondelez International (MDLZ) shares were surging Friday on speculation U.S. activist investor Nelson Peltz may pursue a merger of the two companies after amassing critical stakes in both companies.
Peltz, through his investment vehicle, Trian Fund Management, has built positions worth about $2 billion in PepsiCo, the food and beverage giant, and Mondelez, the Deerfield, Ill.-based snack company, the U.K.'s Daily Telegraph newspaper reported Friday, citing unidentified sources.
Mondelez, which sells brands such as Cadbury, Nabisco and Oreo, was popping 4.6% to $29.88 and PepsiCo was gaining 3.5% to $78.81.
Peltz may pressure PepsiCo to split its snack and beverage units or even push to force the two companies to merge, according to the Telegraph. Some investors may be in favor of these proposals as shareholders have previously urged a split of PepsiCo's more profitable snacks unit, which sells Lay's potato chips and Doritos tortilla chips, from its lagging beverage division.PepsiCo and Mondelez said that they don't comment on rumors. Written by Andrea Tse in New York >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Andrea Tse.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV