NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- IBM (IBM) CEO Ginni Rometty gave a peek into the company's efforts to make money out off its Watson supercomputer during her first public speech since taking the tech giant's reins last year.
The Armonk, N.Y.-based firm unveiled the first commercial technologies based on its Watson supercomputer earlier this year, targeting the lucrative health care sector.
Speaking at the Council on Foreign Relations in New York on Thursday evening, Rometty explained how IBM is extending Watson's reach into other industries.
"We have been working with financial services and telcos on call centers," she said. "In the call centers in the world, typical call center, the operator or adviser you speak to spends 60% of their time trying to find the information to answer your question, looking for documentation. In the pilots we have done, we have been able to cut this in half and more."The CEO attributed Watson's success in call centers to the system's ability to ingest, immediately recall and also associate vast quantities of information. Rometty urged her audience to recognize the sophistication of Watson, which made a headline-grabbing debut on Jeopardy in 2011. "It's not a big giant search machine," she said. "It learns -- at the time
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV