NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- One thing that Jim Cramer always harps on to RealMoney readers and viewers of his "Mad Money" show is the importance of doing extensive homework before investing in any stock. Nowhere has this been more important than in the energy sector in 2013.
With the Dow reaching all-time highs and with energy being one of the strongest sectors in that rally, you'd think that any investment in energy would be a winner, but that's very far from the truth.
If you've picked right inside the energy sector, you've seen tremendous upside already in the new year. If you've picked wrong, however, you're seeing stocks slide to some of the worst prices they've had in years.
Have a look at the video above that I shot with Jim. It differentiates the good from the bad and stress the necessity of doing some very intense homework before picking stocks and buying them.Follow @dan_dicker This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV