NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- With new and substantial upgrades in technology and communication, U.S. health care consumers are generally OK with virtual doctor appointments.
That's a pretty big deal given the expected shortage of qualified doctors once health care reform is rolled out fully in 2014 and reaching out to a physician by either phone, email or video could become more common.
On the professional side, evidence is mounting that a virtual doctor's appointment can be just as effective as being there in flesh and blood.
According to a Jan. 14 article in the Archives of Internal Medicine, patients seeking treatment for afflictions such as sinus infections and bladder problems were given a proper and accurate diagnosis by physicians online after patient descriptions and updates to their online medical profiles.A study out Thursday shows that 74% of Americans are "open" to such virtual doctor visits. The study, the Cisco Customer Experience Report, surveyed 1,547 consumers and health care professionals across 10 countries to find that 75% of consumers say they "are comfortable with the idea of communicating with doctors using technology instead of seeing them in person." In addition:
- Cisco (CSCO) says that in China, Russia and Mexico, approximately 75% of consumers "would be comfortable communicating with a specialist using virtual technology (e.g. video chatting, text messaging) for a health condition."
- Another 60% of consumers from Germany, Japan and the U.S. say they are open to being treated by a health care specialist using virtual technology.
- By and large, Cisco adds, health care consumers "will give up anything, including cost, convenience and travel, to be treated at a perceived leading health care provider to gain access to trusted care and expertise."
- Another 25% say they would like health care "reminders" to be made available to them over emails and texts.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV