BOSTON ( TheStreet) -- You know that Washington, D.C., is named for America's first president, but did you know that 134-person Harrison City, Pa., honors ninth president William Henry Harrison? Or that 1,015-population Pierceton, Ind., memorializes 14th president Franklin Pierce?
"You can find towns named after
Smith, an Eastern Washington University professor and past chairman of the American Name Society's Toponymy Interest Group, says presidents who are lesser known today often got communities named after them thanks to the intervention of supporters of their own time.
"People who were in the right place at the right time and had the authority to name their communities often named them after someone they thought was a good president," he says.Smith -- whose forefathers helped name Blaine, Wash., after failed 1884 Republican presidential candidate James G. Blaine -- says many U.S. leaders little remembered today had plenty of contemporary fans. "A lot of people must have admired
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV