Soros, known for his philanthropy and ideas on economics, also cut his position in other technology names, including Facebook (FB) and Amazon.com (AMZN). Soros owned 300,000 shares of Facebook as of the end of the third quarter, but owned none at the end of the year. His entire stake in Amazon was sold as well, going from 260,000 shares to none.
Outside of technology, Soros chopped his stake in AIG (AIG), going from 15.2 million shares, down to just 8.8 million shares. He initiated a new position in Ford (F), buying 3.1 million shares of the Dearborn, Mich.-based auto maker.In addition to his equity stakes, Soros, known for breaking the Bank of England in the 1980's by betting against the British pound, is now in the midst of another profitable currency trade. The Wall Street Journal reported that Soros had gained nearly $1 billion by betting against the Japanese yen, as the currency has depreciated nearly 20% in the past four months. --Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Commodity_Bull
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV