- Earned Income Tax Credit: The EITC is worth a maximum of $6,044, and many who qualify aren't claiming it, Priest says. "In fact, one in five people who could claim the credit don't because they do not know about it or because they don't file their taxes," Priest says. Taxpayers in 22 states may also qualify for a state or local EITC tax break. Check with your tax preparer.
- Free tax preparation and filing: Capital One says it's helping pay for free tax prep for low-income families and small-business entrepreneurs around the nation. If you make less than $57,000 annually, there are already 15 tax preparation services that allow you to file for free. And you can also file for free, no matter what your income level, at at the IRS' website.
- Tax-advantaged retirement savings: Priest advises using tax refunds to "jump-start" a savings plan. Maxing out on an individual retirement account contribution can make a huge difference in your financial future, Priest says. "You have until the very last day to contribute and deduct the amount from your taxable income," she explains. The contribution limit for 2012 is $5,000 if you're 49 or younger and $6,000 if you're 50 or older.
3 Key Tax Time Reminders for Low- and Middle-Class Americans
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.