The San Antonio, Texas-based firm increased revenue 25% to $353 million, below Wall Street's forecast of $355.42 million. The AT&T (T) and Savvis rival said fourth-quarter revenue was helped by currency exchange rates.
Investors pushed down Rackspace shares by 8.9% to $68.30.
Rackspace, which doesn't break out non-GAAP EPS, said it earned 21 cents a share on net income of $30 million, compared with 18 cents a share and net income of $25 million in the year-earlier quarter. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters were looking for earnings of 21 cents a share.The company's total customers grew to 205,538 from 197,635 sequentially. Rackspace's total server count increased to 90,524 from 89,051 at the end of third quarter. "We are very pleased with the financial results we have delivered in 2012. Even more importantly, we are excited about the growth opportunities that our new set of open cloud products will provide us in the future," said Karl Pichler, Rackspace's chief financial officer, in a statement released after the market close. -- Written by James Rogers in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV