- 46% believe they'll be able to pay for "essential" expenses in retirement, including housing, utilities and health care costs.
- 36% believe they'll have enough money in retirement for travel and hobbies. (Compare that with the 78% who say they'll be "very happy" in retirement and the disconnect theory really begins to make sense.)
- About 38% say they don't have an "accurate" understanding of expected retirement costs (i.e., basic living expenses and travel and hobby budgets). Common sense says that if you haven't broken out the calculator and hammered out a rough blueprint of expected living expenses after you leave the workforce, you just may have a retirement disconnect. (BankingMyWay.com has a great retirement planning calculator. Find it here.
- Despite the vast majority of survey respondents who say they expect a pleasant, comfortable retirement, only 32% of workers believe they are saving enough for it. Ameriprise calls this uncertainty "troubling" for tens of millions of Americans.
- Americans say they need almost $1 million saved for retirement, but most say they are nowhere that. On average, U.S. workers say they need to save another $250,000 for retirement, but, aside from counting on their home equity, have no idea how they'll save the money. Ameriprise calls that "surprising" given the anxious state of the U.S. housing market.
Your Happy Retirement Is Probably About $250,000 Short
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.