NEW YORK (TheStreet) - Amazon (AMZN) reports fourth-quarter earnings Tuesday, and while seemingly everyone (I use that loosely) bought something from the world's largest online retailer during the holiday shopping season, once again it all comes down to whether Amazon can actually make money selling knick-knacks and do-dads.
In the fourth quarter of 2011, Amazon had razor thin operating margins of 1.5%. But many would like to see Amazon start to capitalize on the all spending it has done in recent years as it expands its footprint, adding several new warehouses and capacity around the world.
Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters expect the Seattle-based retailer to earn 28 cents a share on $22.26 billion in revenue, in the fourth quarter. That's up from 2011, when Amazon earned 38 cents a share on $17.43 billion in sales.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV