The software maker reported revenue of $1.29 billion, a 22% rise on the prior year's quarter and above Wall Street's estimate of $1.28 billion.
Excluding items, VMware earned 81 cents a share, up from 62 cents a share a year earlier. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters were looking for earnings of 78 cents a share.
Virtualization software, which lets multiple operating systems run in the same computer, has become synonymous with VMware, fuelling the company's success. Investors, however, balked at VMware's outlook on Monday, pushing the company's shares down 14% to $84.88 in extended trading.For the first quarter, VMware expects sales between $1.17 billion and $1.19 billion, below analysts' forecast of $1.25 billion. VMware's also looking for fiscal 2013 revenue of $5.23 billion to $5.35 billion, well below Wall Street's prediction $5.42 billion. The results also weighed on EMC (EMC), which is VMware's majority owner. Shares of the storage giant, which reports its own fourth-quarter results Tuesday, fell 4.6% to $24.05 in extended trading. -- Written by James Rogers in New York Follow @jamesjrogers >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV