The AnandTech Web site reports that Intel plans to end production of PC motherboards by the end of this year and ramp down that division's operations business over the next three years.
Intel will end research and production of new PC motherboards soon after the introduction of its upcoming "Haswell" design this year, according to the report. The Haswell boards, as well as all the other motherboards that Intel produces, will come with a full warranty.
Intel will continue designing and producing what it calls "Form Factor Reference Designs" (FFRDs) best known as the boards that go into new, lightweight, Ultrabooks that are currently being made by a number of manufacturers. Ultrabooks are the PC world's answer to Apple's (AAPL) Air notebook. FFRDs are also used in tablets computers,Intel is also planning to continue producing desktop PC processors for third-party motherboard manufacturers such as Asus and Gigabite. The report goes on to say that Intel plans no layoffs due to the closure. The No.1 chip maker will shift its PC motherboard employees into jobs in other company divisions. Intel has not yet responded to TheStreet's request for comment on this story. --Written by Gary Krakow in New York. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV