CNBC's David Faber is reporting that Microsoft may invest anywhere between $1 billion and $3 billion as part of a private-equity bid for Dell. The form of the investment would be mezzanine financing, which is defined as financing in the form of debt that converts to equity should the debt not be paid back on time and in full.
Shares of Microsoft ticked lower following the reports, off 0.39% to $27.15.
Research In Motion (RIMM) shares soared, gaining 8.9% to $17.25 followings reports that CEO Thorsten Heins would consider licensing out BlackBerry's operating system, if it made sense. The German newspaper Die Welt questioned Heins what took Research In Motion so long to make a new operating system, and Heins explained the company had to make it future proof for the next 10 years. The prospect of licensing the new OS was brought up, as Microsoft does with Windows. "Before you licensed the software, you must show that the platform has a large potential," Heins told Die Welt. "First we have to fulfill our promises. If such proof, a licensing is conceivable."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV