NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- On Wednesday the National Association of Home Builders released its Housing Market Index for January with an unchanged reading at 47, ending the winning streak at eight consecutive months and below the neutral 50.
The NAHB indicates that conditions in the housing market are much better than they were a year ago with an increasing number of geographic markets showing signs of recovery. The pending fiscal cliff was blamed for a pause in this improving climate. The possibility that Congress may limit the mortgage interest rate deduction is a growing concern for the home builders. The same difficulties continue to impede the housing recovery; persistently tight mortgage credit conditions, and difficulties in obtaining accurate appraisals.
On Wednesday afternoon the Federal Reserve Beige book indicated that residential construction expanded or held steady in eight of 12 Federal Reserve Districts, which correlates with the pause in the NAHB HMI survey.
This morning we learned that housing starts rose 12.1% in December to an annual rate of 954,000 units with the important single family starts up 8.1% to an annual rate of 616,000. This better-than-expected data still lags the rise in the NAHB HMI. This new family starts data is not in the graph.When I wrote
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV