NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Trend-following looks great on paper and in hindsight, but many investors find it difficult to pull the trigger and buy a stock that is trading near its recent highs. Having a plan for your entries and exits is what allows investors to succeed even when emotionally it may be challenging to execute.
The opposite is value investing, or what many refer to as catching a falling knife. You can make money with either method, but I suggest you pick one or the other and stick with it. When it comes to investing, "Jack of all trades, master of none" types usually feed the masters. Oversized consistent gains are difficult enough with one method, and let alone trying to bounce from method to method.
There is a sweet spot in trend following for the average investor; it's called buying on dips. Buying on dips is satisfying to many because "you're getting a deal" and at the same time you're still following the overall longer term trend.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV