NEW YORK (
TheStreet) -- I've been willing to buy the conventional wisdom that some deal will be done to avert the "Fiscal Cliff." I even think it's an opportunity to get some
As this was written on New Year's Eve, we still had no deal. But even if Congress treats the Jan. 1 deadline like the late Douglas Adams -- he said "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by" -- a deal can still get done later this week, even next week, with minimal harm.
Yes, there will be a lot of uncertainty, and accountants will be churning out overtime. A final deal, reached this coming Friday, would doubtless hold taxpayers harmless for the complications. And everything in it would be a tax cut, while in 2012 Republicans are being told to vote for tax raises. It makes a difference.
I've told you what bulls should do in the event of a cliff disaster. But what should bears do, other than take Bette Davis' advice of "Fasten your seat belts, it's going to be a bumpy night."Here are my thoughts, and I'd love to hear yours: Sell Defense Stocks: The least-mentioned provision in the 2011 deal creating the cliff is a 9% cut in the defense budget, starting tomorrow. Health care for soldiers would be cut, and Lockheed-Martin (LMT) is talking of an immediate layoff of 10,000 workers,
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV