PORTLAND, Ore. (TheStreet) -- Hitting those post-holiday sales is a good way of stocking up, but it won't get you that discontinued device you were looking for.
It was the end of the road for a lot of popular brands, gadgets, vehicles and totems of American culture in 2012. While some consumers mourned strictly aesthetic changes to their shopping routines, whole chunks of their shopping selection left the marketplace this year. Even if holiday and post-holiday sales were stronger at year's end, it wouldn't have saved many of these freshly departed pillars of commerce.
We took a look back at 2012 and found six items that were worth picking up this year, if only because you can't do so next year:
The white MacBook
It was an Apple (AAPL) fixture since 2006, it was the collegiate student body's Mac on the cheap for more than half a decade and its glowing logo behind the monitor lit the dark corners of many a coffee shop. Though it left retail shelves last year, Apple just stopped selling it to schools in February.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV