The jury decided that Marvell infringed on a number of patents concerning computer hard drives. It awarded the university $1.17 billion in damages.
And if that's not bad enough, the jury decided that Marvell willfully infringed upon the patents, which means the school might be due a lot more. If so ordered, Marvell might have to pay triple damages, or $3.5 billion in fines.
For those keeping track, that's a larger sum than Apple was awarded (nearly $1.05 billion) in its landmark case against Samsung -- a jury decision still being fought in the courts. Two big jury verdicts of the past, such as Alcatel-Lucent (ALU) vs. Microsoft (MSFT) ($1.52 billion) and Centocor (now Janssen Biotech) vs. Abbott Labs (ABT) ($1.67 billion), were overturned on appeal.As expected, Marvell has released a statement saying it plans to appeal the jury's decision. -- Written by Gary Krakow in New York. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV