DETROIT ( TheStreet) -- The U.S. auto industry is wrapping up a year that included strong sales of innovative, well-built cars and trucks as well as an election victory by a president who listed Detroit bailouts as a primary achievement.
Several 2013 introductions provided signs of a resurgent industry finally able to anticipate customers' preferences and to deliver on them.
As the Detroit Auto Show approaches, the Automotive Press Association jury, composed of 50 automotive journalists, has rolled out its list of the top six finalists for the 2013 North American Car and Truck of the Year awards. Winners will be announced Jan. 14 on the media day at the car show.
To be eligible, a vehicle must have been substantially changed from the previous model, must be available for purchase shortly after the award is announced and must be likely to reach minimum sales levels of 5,000 for cars and 2,000 for trucks.Last year's winning car was the Hyundai Elantra. The winning truck was the Range Rover Evoque. TheStreet spoke with Karl Brauer, CEO and editor of Total Car Score and a member of the jury, about the entries and the likely winners.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV