NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Returning unwanted purchases isn't fun, especially during the holidays. Retailers obviously don't like it either.
But sometimes, you need to return an item that either doesn't work, isn't what you expected or you no longer want. While there are people out there trying to game the system -- causing some of the National Retail Federation's projected $2.9 billion in fraudulent returns this holiday season -- most of us just want to buy the right thing the first time.
Technology is helping make returns a lot easier. Shopping online means you always have a record of purchases. You just have to pay attention to return policies and possible restocking fees. Offline, several stores are now accepting returns made at their online counterpart, not to mention easing return policies to help those who just want to return an unwanted item.
Limit those returns by following these suggestions:Do the research. If gifts are going to be given this season, make sure you give something the person wants or make sure you're telling people what you want. You can always ask. Or be a little sneaky by using a gift-recommendation service.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV