NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Love bites.
It also wags its tail, curls up at your feet and is always happy when you get home.
My wife and I have two rescue dogs. We love them, and my wife seems to come home with a new doggie treat or toy almost every day.
My working theory is that people love their pets and will spoil them no matter what. What else could explain the slope and pattern of the two graphs below? In 2008, when everything went south, plenty of spouses had their spending clipped at the hands of the other. But for Fido, the love just kept coming.(WOOF), which operates veterinary hospitals, diagnostic testing centers and provides medical equipment to the veterinary market. WOOF has a market capitalization of $1.8 billion. There's also Patterson Companies (PDCO), with a $3.7 billion market cap, that provides products for veterinary as well as dentistry and therapeutic markets. And, of course, there's PetSmart (PETM), the big box retailer with around 1,250 stores coast to coast.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV