NFC stands for Near Field Communications and it's the technology that will change your smartphone, tablets and other devices into your personal, mobile payment center. So far, NFC circuits are featured in a small number of smartphones, mainly because they're somewhat expensive and battery draining.
But, Qualcomm is out to change all that. Its newly-announced Atheros QCA1990 chip is physically smaller and cheaper than past NFC circuits, demanding much less power from rechargeable batteries and supporting antennas that require less space than previous models.
Another added value is that the QCA1990 will work seamlessly with Qualcomm's popular Snapdragon S4 mobile processors - currently popularized inside a number of new Google (GOOG) Android and Microsoft (MSFT) Windows 8 phones. It should be able to operate well inside iPhones if Apple (AAPL) so desires. And it's said to also play well with dual-SIM phone models popular in overseas markets.Qualcomm expects that the first of these new NFC chips will make their way to phone manufacturers in the first three months of next year and then into new smartphones by the third quarter of 2013. --Written by Gary Krakow in New York. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV