After the streaming movie pioneer pulled what Weinstein called an industry "game changer" by agreeing to a multi-year content exclusivity agreement with Disney (DIS), the co-founder of Miramax Films and current co-chair of The Weinstein Company is ready call winners and losers on Wall Street when it comes to assessing Netflix.
In a Wednesday panel discussion at the UBS Global Media Conference with Netflix Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos, Weinstein was ready to forgive Carl Icahn on previous losing media industry bets after the activist investor took a near a 10% stake in Netflix this fall, which has gained sharply with the company's improving prospects.
Weinstein appeared less forgiving to Wall Street investors, who he said badly misread Netflix's potential earlier in the year.Icahn won praise from Weinstein for backing Netflix ahead of the company's announcement of a major content agreement with Disney. In contrast, Weinstein indicated selloffs in Netflix shares when the company didn't renew exclusive content agreements with Liberty Media (LMCA)-controlled Starz and Epix reflected the short-term thinking of some investors. "That Starz deal, when you didn't renew
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV