Updated from 11:02 a.m. ET with settlement prices
NEW YORK (
Gold for February delivery dropped $25.30 to settle at $1,695.80 at the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange. The
Gold traded at $1,704.50 an ounce on Nov. 15, which marked the lowest level for the commodity in four weeks."Gold prices broke to under the pivotal $1,700 mark overnight, and did so despite a slightly weaker US dollar, despite a firmer euro, but alongside almost 1% weaker crude oil values," Jon Nadler, senior analyst at Kitco Metals, noted Tuesday morning. Nadler noted that an overall slide in commodities and the continued stall in negotiations over the so-called fiscal cliff -- when tax relief measures and deep spending cuts will automatically go into effect at the beginning of 2013 -- were responsible for the four-week low.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV