NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Technologies merge all the time. Clouds are a merger of distributed computing and virtualization. Tablets are a merger of laptops and phones.
But there are bigger technology mergers on the horizon in this decade. The biggest may be the coming merger of computing with manufacturing.
For investors, that movement may be a mystery, but it's simply this: Instead of producing virtual goods from computers, makers produce real goods. "Making" is where personal computing itself was 40 years ago, a hobbyist niche looking to become a mass movement.Think of 3-D printers as being the computers of this new movement. Companies including 3D Systems (DDD) and Stratasys (SSYS) are what Intel (INTC)and Texas Instruments (TXN) were at that time, and their printers are at roughly where
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV