NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Follow the YouTube trail.
From 2011, a Research in Motion (RIMM) television commercial promoting the BlackBerry Curve smartphone.
I first saw that commercial while watching a hockey game on Canadian television. For as hard as I was hammering RIM at the time, I had to give the company credit. As nothing more than a TV spot, that was a damn good piece of marketing. However, as a TV spot designed to sell BlackBerries, it was nothing short of an embarrassment.You walked away from that 30 seconds with one of two reactions: Where can I get one of those glow-in-the-dark bikes or those fixed gear-riding urban slicks would be iMessaging on Apple (AAPL) iPhones if that was real. As it attempts to brand its Surface tablet, Microsoft (MSFT) commits an equally-as-ugly sin. Both RIM and Microsoft attempt to make the uncool appear cool, not through organic channels such as brisk consumer adoption and viral word of mouth, but via manufactured attempts. The Microsoft commercial feels like a summer hijinks movie starring Corey Haim and Corey Feldman. And, the whole schoolgirls thing is just downright creepy.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV