NEW YORK (TheStreet) - It's a fine line between trying to warn the world about an online vulnerability and being called a hacker. Just ask Andrew Auernheimer.
Two years ago, the 26-year old computer expert announced that he had found, on AT&T's (T) Web site, where the telecom giant was storing more than 100,000 email addresses of Apple (AAPL) iPad owners/subscribers. He said he wanted to warn everyone - AT&T, Apple and the general public - that the information wasn't secure.
AT&T - and U.S. prosecutors - saw it differently.
Late yesterday, Auernheimer was found guilty, in Federal court in Newark, N.J., on one count of conspiracy to gain access to computers and one count of identity theft. According to Wired, the jury decided the case within hours.Auernheimer faces as much as 10 years in prison as well as fines totaling $500,000. Sentencing has been delayed pending a possible plea agreement. A co-defendant in the case pleaded guilty to similar charges back in June. Daniel Spitler admitted to creating what he called the "iPad 3G Account Slurper" and then used it to gain access to AT&T servers, gather e-mail addresses and 3G iPad information. --Written by Gary Krakow in New York. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV