BOSTON (TheStreet) -- The first quarter of 2013 is shaping up to be action-packed for biotech investors.
Volatility junkies rejoice because I count six clinical trials that should read out in the first three months of next year. Four of these trials carry life-or-death stakes for the companies involved.
Celsion (CLSN) is up first. Last week, the company announced the passing of the 380th progression event in its pivotal study of the liver cancer therapy Thermodox study. Celsion is now locking up the study and analyzing data, with results expected in January.
Celsion's market cap of $186 million is low for a company with looming phase III cancer drug data, making this stock an easy double on positive results. Celsion will crater if Thermodox fails.Oncothyreon (ONTY) will also live or die based on first-quarter clinical trial results. Final data from the phase III study of the lung cancer drug Stimuvax will be ready in the first quarter, Merck KGaA CEO Karl-Luwdwig Kley told Reuters last Thursday. The German Merck is Oncothyreon's development partner for Stimuvax, a cancer immunotherapy. Oncothyreon shares were cut in half last March because an interim analysis of the Stimuvax lung cancer study wasn't robust enough to demonstrate a survival advantage. Expectations for Stimuvax are low right now, so Oncothyreon is another easy double if the cancer "vaccine" can buck the odds and win when the final results from the lung cancer study are announced. The other four late-stage studies expected to read out in the first quarter:
- Ziopharm's (ZIOP) palifosfamide in first-line soft-tissue sarcoma.
- Exact Sciences' (EXAS) Cologuard for colon cancer screening.
- Two phase III studies involving Gilead Sciences' (GILD) hepatitis C pill GS-7977.
- Celgene (CELG) has already announced positive results from the Abraxane phase III study in pancreatic cancer but the actual survival benefit won't be disclosed until data are presented at a cancer conference starting Jan. 24.
- NuPathe (PATH): Zelrix migraine patch on Jan. 17.
- Impax Pharmaceuticals (IPXL): Rytary for idiopathic Parkinson's disease on Jan. 21.
- Hyperion Therapeutics (HPTX): Ravicty for urea cycle disorders on Jan. 23.
- Sucampo Pharmaceuticals (SCMP): Amitiza for opioid-induced constipation in patients with chronic, non-cancer pain on Jan. 25.
- Isis Pharmaceuticals (ISIS) and Sanofi (SNY): Kynamro for homozygous familial hypercholesterolemia on Jan. 29.
- Raptor Pharmaceuticals (RPTP): RP103 for nephropathic cystinosis on Jan. 30.
- Hemispherx Biopharma (HEB): Ampligen for chronic fatigue syndrome on Feb. 2
- Celgene: Pomalidomide for multiple myeloma on Feb. 8.
- Dynavax (DVAX): Heplisav for immunization against hepatitis B on Feb. 22.
- Roche (RHHBY) and ImmunoGen (IMGN): T-DM1 for metastatic breast cancer on Feb. 26.
- Zogenix (ZGNX): Zohydro for moderate to severe chronic pain on March 1.
- AP Pharma (APPA): APF530 for prevention of nausea and vomiting due to chemotherapy on March 27.
- Biogen Idec (BIIB): BG-12 for multiple sclerosis on March 28.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV