NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The major U.S. stock averages continued this week's losing streak after the latest data on the employment picture and manufacturing activitiy disappointed investors.
A poor outlook from retailing giant Wal-Mart Stores (WMT) also contributed to the negativity. The selling pressure extended the recent weakness in equities as worries about the fiscal cliff and the eurozone's stability contribute to mounting pessism about the global economic picture.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell more than 28 points, or 0.23%, to close at 12,542 in a choppy day of action. The blue-chip index has now fallen in four straight sessions and in six of the past seven days.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV