NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Every year since 1997 I've tried to do at least some of my Christmas shopping online.
What I have found is that, in general, Amazon (AMZN) wins my business. This was more true in the past than it will be in the future, as sales taxes are gradually figured into the mix.
But even with my house turned into a store -- sales taxes are typically imposed based on a merchant's location -- I find the search process at Amazon straightforward, the deliveries efficient, the merchandise arriving as advertised.
But over the last few years a new threat to Amazon has emerged -- Walmart (WMT). Their Vudu operation is one of the largest sellers of online video. The site has an Amazon-like look-and-feel; you can pick things up at the store. They are almost nine times bigger, by sales volume, than Amazon. As the online world grows, they are in it to win it.With that tale-of-the-tape, I took my dear heart's Christmas list to the Google (GOOG), focusing on what both these giant merchants can do. First. If what you want is not in a standard size -- and picture frames are often in non-standard sizes --
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV