NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Doug Kass of Seabreeze Partners is known for his accurate stock market calls and keen insights into the economy, which he shares with RealMoney Pro readers in his daily trading diary.
Among his posts this past week, Kass explained why he's buying shares of Apple and why some recent news from China is encouraging.
The Apple of My Buy
Originally published on Friday, Nov. 9 at 8:44 a.m. EDT.
- Global economic weakness in 2013 would likely have an adverse impact on Apple's relatively high-priced stable of products.
- Challenges of delivering a high-quality product in quantity.
- The risks associated with the loss of Steve Jobs were being underestimated by the markets.
- Investors may look beyond the recent new product offerings. The steady stream of "wow factor" products in the company's pipeline may be in jeopardy following the release of the iPhone 5 and of iPad mini.
- A changing competitive landscape could be a challenge to the company's market share and profitability.
- Apple's shares were overowned and were the beneficiary of fund flows. The almost religious belief in the company (on the part of individual and institutional investors) represented an extreme in investor sentiment.
- Apple's valuation, though inexpensive relative to the market and its projected growth rate, was very expensive (on a price-to-sales basis) relative to other hardware companies and on an absolute sales basis.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV