BRIDGEWATER, NJ ( TheStreet) -- Dendreon (DNDN) reported Provenge sales of $78 million for the September quarter, down sequentially and short of Street expectations again, yet the stock soared higher at Friday's open because some investors see a light emerging from the end of a long, dark tunnel.
As I mentioned in my preview, the best thing Dendreon had going for it coming into today's third-quarter earnings was ultra-low expectations. Investors were so accustomed to Dendreon blowing itself up four times a year that Friday's no-drama report was a giant upside surprise.
Dendreon shares jumped 24% to $4.75 in early Friday trading. Of course, some perspective is in order. Coming into today, Dendreon shares hadn't traded this cheap since before Provenge's phase III study results were announced three years ago.
Provenge sales of $78 million in the quarter were up 28% year over year but down 2.5% sequentially. Provenge quarterly sales must reach $100 million for Dendreon to be cash flow positive on an operating basis. Provenge sales are actually moving in the wrong direction but 14% quarter-over-quarter growth among community urologists -- the drug's target audience -- suggests a turnaround is possible."The community setting is where we will see most of our
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV