NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Gold prices rose Wednesday on positive news about Greece emerging from eurozone talks, and after U.S. equity and bond markets reopened after a two-day shutdown because of Hurricane Sandy.
Gold for December delivery rose $7 to close at $1,719.10 an ounce at the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange. The gold price traded as high as $1,726.60 and as low as $1,709.80 an ounce, while the spot price was rising $11.20, according to Kitco's gold index.
"Expectations of rebuilding and more stimulus are helping today, weaker dollar, all of this still in a diminished trading participation, so markets will continue to be thin," George Gero, precious metals strategist at RBC Wealth Management, wrote in a note.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV