NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Monday's historic closing of stock markets is frustrating this tech reporter. Angry clouds have shut down Wall Street.
But it's a good day to review what we should know about cloud computing, what it is today, what it will be tomorrow and what that means for the markets.
Cloud remains misunderstood by many. It's not the IBM Service Bureau of the 1960s. It's not timesharing. It's not even Software as a Service, one of the great buzzwords of the last decade.
It's a combination of three technologies:
Virtualization, so it doesn't matter what operating system something was written on. One piece of hardware can be running many jobs, or a job can be running on many systems.
Distributed computing, the parsing of bits of a job among many systems, automatically. This lets jobs scale and use as much hardware as needed to get the job done.
Internet resiliency. This article lives in thousands of places, right now, because it's cached on many servers and on many clients. The cloud lets computing resources be copied the same way.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV