NEW YORK ( TheStreet) - Although Verizon's (VZ) stronger-than-expected third quarter earnings proved some telecom sector skeptics wrong on the impact of Apple's (AAPL) iPhone 5 to profits, some analysts are still bracing for the smartphone to cut into earnings by year-end.
In reacting to Verizon's third quarter, which was bolstered by higher-than-expected wireless margins and subscriber additions, Shing Yin of Guggenheim Securities highlights that competitor AT&T (T) is likely to see a greater iPhone 5 earnings hit this quarter. The analyst also suspects carriers will face margin pressures headed into 2013 as the iPhone 5 goes global.
According to a Friday analysis by Yin, AT&T is still poised to show large iPhone 5 subsidy payments to Apple in its third-quarter results, due on Wednesday, which could hit margins. That's because Yin estimates AT&T took more iPhone 5 handsets for delivery in the quarter than Verizon, and its customers are nearly twice as likely to be due for a subsidized smartphone upgrade.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV