The Intel (INTC) rival said it now expects third-quarter revenue of approximately $1.27 billion, a sequential decline of around 10%. Previously, AMD had predicted a sequential decrease of 1%, plus or minus 3%. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters were looking for sales of $1.38 billion.
"The lower than anticipated preliminary revenue results are primarily due to weaker than expected demand across all product lines caused by the challenging macroeconomic environment," noted AMD, in a statement released after market close.
Investors responded negatively to the numbers, pushing AMD's shares down 8.44% to $2.93 before market open on Friday.Shares of Sprint (S), which surged more than 14% during Thursday's trading, dipped 1.91% to $5.65 before market open. On Thursday, the Overland Park, Kan.-based company confirmed it's in discussions with Japan's Softbank about a possible "substantial" investment in the No. 3 U.S. telecom provider. Sprint's key partner Clearwire (CLWR), however, was an even bigger laggard, tumbling 7.21% to $2.06 on share volume of 256,815. Shares of Apple (AAPL), which is said to be preparing the launch of its new iPad Mini, crept up 0.5% to $631.25. --Written by James Rogers in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV