NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The cost of cybercrime is increasing dramatically for U.S. companies, according to the latest research from the Ponemon Institute on Monday, as firms wrestle with an increasingly aggressive threat landscape.
The Hewlett Packard (HPQ)-sponsored study found that the average cybercrime cost incurred by U.S. firms is $8.9 million per annum, an increase of 6% on 2011 and a hike of 38% from 2010. The research, which surveyed 56 U.S. organizations, also revealed an average of 102 successful attacks per week in 2012, up from 72 in 2011 and 50 per week in 2010.
The Ponemon Institute defines a successful attack as one that infiltrates a company's network or its enterprise IT system. "I think that the attacks are more sophisticated," Larry Ponemon, founder of the Ponemon Institute, told TheStreet. "In some cases, the bad guys are getting smarter."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV