BOSTON ( TheStreet) -- The 10 best-performing biotech and drug stocks in the third quarter, according to CapitalIQ:
9. Xenoport (XNPT) 90%
8. Peregrine Pharmaceuticals (PPHM) 90%
7. Sunesis Pharmaceuticals (SNSS) 96%
6. Opexa Therapeutics (OPXA) 111%
5. Stemcells (STEM) 154%
4. Catalyst Pharmaceuticals (CPRX) 185%
3. Hemispherx Biopharma (HEB) 188%
2. Sarepta Therapeutics (SRPT) 313%
1. Savient Pharmaceuticcals (SVNT) 363%
Some lessons and observations from this list:
1. The biotech stock bubble grew bigger. StemCells up 154%? Irrational exuberance is reaching the red line any time a stem-cell company performs this well.The same can be said for Opexa, a dead-ender that's burned through piles of shareholder cash on the futile development of the multiple sclerosis drug Tovaxin. It seems like some investors forget that Tovaxin failed a key phase II study in 2008. Tovaxin has toiled in purgatory ever since, although Opexa did change the drug's name to Tcelna. No doubt, the name change is worth millions in additional market cap. The biotech sector is up almost 40% for the year, outperforming the broader stock indices. Warning: Stock market bubbles don't last forever. Success and easy profits are swelling the heads of traders who believe that all biotech stocks, no matter the quality, always go up. Judging by some of the biotech dreck on the list above, the sector is getting too frothy for its own good. 2. The "run-up" trading strategy is working. Hemispherx, Catalyst and Celsion owe their places on the third-quarter top returns list to traders buying ahead of key catalysts. For Hemispherx, it's a Dec. 20 FDA advisory panel for the chronic fatigue syndrome drug Ampligen.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV