RIM's shares soared after the BlackBerry maker posted a much narrower-than-expected quarterly loss on Thursday, surprising many on Wall Street.
The Canadian firm reported a second-quarter adjusted loss of $142 million, or 27 cents a share, for its fiscal second quarter, on revenue of $2.87 billion. The performance was well ahead of the average estimate of analysts polled by Thomson Reuters for a loss of 46 cents a share on revenue of $2.5 billion.
Another beleaguered company, Barnes & Noble (BKS), was at the forefront of tech this week, unveiling two new NOOKs, to go head-to-head with Amazon (AMZN). The new 7-inch NOOK will sell for $199, and the 9-inch tablet will go for $269. The 7-inch version of Amazon's Kindle Fire HD starts at $199, while the 8.9-inch model starts at $299. Already available for pre-order online and in stores, the devices will ship in late October and begin arriving in stores in early November. "With the combination of the highest resolution screen, lightest weight and expansive access to content rendered in a digital quality never before seen, NOOK HD is the world's best 7-inch media tablet," Barnes & Noble CEO William Lynch remarked in the company's press release. Shares of Barnes & Noble closed out the week 7.0% higher at $12.78.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV