NEW YORK ( MainStreet) -- One of the more contentious aspects of the new iPhone 5 is that it will use a new type of connector, Lightning, for plugging the phone into your wall socket or computer. While Apple has touted the advantages of this smaller, reversible plug, many have griped that this makes the phone incompatible with the numerous docks and accessories put out by third parties over the years.
The good news is that Apple is selling an adapter to make it possible to plug your new phone into your old speaker dock; the bad news is that it won't come cheap.
The Lightning-to-30-pin adapter, as Apple is calling it, will sell for $29 from the Apple Store. This doesn't come as a complete shock. Apple has long been notorious for its high-priced accessories -- a simply power adapter that allows you to plug your USB iPod or iPhone jack into a wall socket will set you back $19, for instance.
Frugal Apple fans have also long-known that third parties are just as capable of making cords and power adapters, which they'll sell at a much lower cost. The old 30-pin connector, for instance, which still
Can iPhone 5
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV