NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Best Buy (BBY) is the largest independent retailer of smartphone products. The Apple (AAPL) iPhone 5 pre-order period has already set a record. Renowned economists are estimating iPhone 5 sales will be a major boost to U.S. GDP. So why won't the iPhone 5 spending surge be a lasting stimulus for the struggling electronics retailer?
Record iPhone 5 sales may provide a small, short-tern earnings boost for Best Buy as the company's new chief executive Hubert Joly tries to resize the business and fend off a buyout effort by co-founder and former CEO Richard Schulze.
However, even if the iPhone 5 generates the type of consumer demand that would normally play to the favor of an electronics retailer and which Nobel Laureate Paul Krugman estimates could add up to 0.5% to overall U.S. GDP (JPMorgan Chase puts it between 0.25% and 0.5%), Best Buy shareholders shouldn't expect a material impact on the company's turnaround or takeover prospects.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV