NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Doug Kass of Seabreeze Partners is known for his accurate stock market calls and keen insights into the economy, which he shares with RealMoney Pro readers in his daily trading diary.
Among his posts this past week, Kass wrote about why more quantitative easing is a close call, fundamental reasons why the market has risen too high, and why Chinese stock valuations may be a harbinger of our own market.
Please click here for information about subscribing to RealMoney Pro.
Originally published on Friday, Sept. 7 at 1:49 p.m. EDT. As I expressed recently, I expect the Fed to change the language with regard to how long low rates will be in place from late 2014 to late 2015. I think it is a close call, however, on more quantitative easing. The odds are probably 50/50, which is far less, I believe, than consensus now (particularly in light of the poor jobs report this morning). At any rate, I believe that more cowbell has been already discounted in the markets. The case against more quantitative easing includes:
Originally published on Thursday, Sept. 6 at 11:47 a.m. EDT.
- President Obama seems likely to win the November election. (He has risen to a multiyear high of 58.8% on Intrade). A Democrat win will be seen as business- and market-unfriendly.
- Third-quarter 2012 earnings will be challenging -- guidance has been cautious -- and profits will likely decline for the first time (year over year) since third quarter 2009.
- I remain uncertain about the U.S. fiscal cliff, debt ceiling, dividend, capital gains and tax policy.
- I remain uncertain about the eurozone's economy, banking union and fiscal integration.
- A Chinese economic slowdown not only threatens world economic growth and commodity prices but implies less demand for the purchase of U.S. treasuries.
- A broad deceleration in global manufacturing activity will adversely impact U.S. export growth.
As China Goes, so Goes the U.S.?
Originally published on Thursday, Sept. 5 at 8:37 a.m. EDT.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV