CHARLOTTE, N.C. (TheStreet) -- Costco (COST) co-founder and former CEO Jim Sinegal defended Barack Obama's economic record Wednesday and used the warehouse retailer's success story to bolster his justification.
"In Tampa last week, we heard all about job creators. But at our company, we recognize that job creation requires time and investment and commitment to the long term," said Sinegal at the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte. "These are the building blocks of President Obama's plan for the future."
Sinegal spoke ahead of former President Bill Clinton's speech at the convention Wednesday.
Sinegal's speech was the biggest from the founder of a large-cap company traded on a major U.S. exchange. Speaking from a similar capacity, Tom Stemberg, who helped found office supply retailer Staples (SPLS), supported Mitt Romney at last week's Republican National Convention. Year to date, shares of Staples have slumped 20.1%, while shares of Costco have jumped 17.9%.Sinegal said Costco has created more than 116,000 American jobs, and expects to add 7,000 more jobs in the next 12 months. -- Written by Joe Deaux in Charlotte, N.C. >Contact by Email. Follow @JoeDeaux
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV