BOSTON ( TheStreet) -- The roster of important biotech catalysts for the remaining four months of 2012 is deep. FDA drug approvals, clinical trial results and new drug launches are going to keep investors busy all the way through New Year's Eve. We might even see more acquisitions to pad what's already been an active year on the deal-making front.
The biotech sector is having a good year. The Nasdaq Biotechnology Index is up 34% year-to-date compared to a 12% rise in the S&P 500. Putting aside the outcome of the presidential election and the health of the U.S. and world economies, the biotech sector's ability to close out 2012 on a strong note will depend largely on the success or failure of upcoming regulatory and clinical events.
Here's my take on the most important biotech catalysts heading into the home stretch of 2012:
FDA Drug Approvals: More, please, and fast!Last week's U.S. approval of Xtandi, the new prostate cancer drug from Medivation (MDVN), came three months earlier than expected. I hesitate to draw firm conclusions, but it certainly seems as if FDA is trying to complete drug reviews more quickly with the aim of pushing approvals out the agency's door ahead of schedule.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV