Nvidia reported revenue of $1.04 billion, up from $1.02 billion in the same period last year and above analysts' estimate of $1.01 billion. Excluding items, the Santa Clara, Calif.-based company reported earnings of 27 cents a share, down from 32 cents. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters were looking for 14 cents.
The results were driven by mobile computing, particularly the booming tablet market, according to Nvidia CEO Jen-Hsun Huang. "Our investments in mobile computing and visual computing are both paying off," he said in a statement released before the market open. "Tegra has achieved record sales as tablets come into their own."
The Intel (INTC) and Qualcomm (QCOM) rival offered healthy guidance, predicting third-quarter revenue between $1.15 billion and $1.25 billion. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters were looking for sales of $1.09 billion.Nvidia expects its GAAP and non-GAAP margins to be flat compared to the second quarter, at 51.8% and 52%, respectively. Shares of Nvidia rose 5.2% to $15.47 after the market close. --Written by James Rogers in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com. Check out our new tech blog, Tech Trends. Follow TheStreet Tech on your wireless devices
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV