Updated with market close information.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose over 200 points, after JPMorgan reported a second-quarter profit of $5 billion, or $1.21 a share, soundly beating the consensus estimate of a 72-cent profit, among analysts polled by Thomson Reuters.
The KBW Bank Index (I:BKX) rose over 3% to close at 45.91, with all 24 index showing gains of at least 2%.JPMorgan CEO James Dimon had in May estimated that the second-quarter hedge trading loss by its Chief investment Office (CIO) estimated at would be "slightly more than $2 billion." The trading losses for the second quarter in fact totaled $4.4 billion, and the company also said it would restate its first-quarter earnings by $459 million, but investors cheered several positive developments:
- Mortgage revenue increased to $2.3 billion during the second quarter, from $2.0 billion during the first quarter, and $1.1 billion in the second quarter of 2011.
- Total noninterest expense declined to $15.0 billion in the second quarter, from $18.3 billion the previous quarter, and $16.8 billion a year earlier, mainly reflecting a decline in litigation expenses, but also a reduction in compensation expenses to $7.4 billion, from $8.6 billion in the first quarter (the annual seasonal spike for bonuses), and $7.6 billion in the second quarter of 2011.
- Period-end commercial banking loans grew to $120.5 billion as of June 30, from $115.8 billion the previous quarter, and $102.7 billion a year earlier.
The shares trade for seven times the consensus 2013 EPS estimate of $5.28. The consensus 2012 EPS estimate is $4.19. Stifel Nicolaus analyst Christopher Mutascio rates JPMorgan a "Hold," and said on Friday that after backing out the one-time items during a quarter with "significant noise," he "could arrive at a core quarterly EPS run-rate in the $1.35 range." The analyst said that "areas in which the company clearly beat our expectations were: 1) mortgage banking income came in at $2.27 billion versus our estimate of just $1.61 billion, and 2) operating expense were $14.97 billion versus our estimate of $15.55 billion," combining "for a $1 billion beat, or $0.17 per share, relative to our expectations." Mutascio's areas of concern include "1) the company's net interest income came in at $11.15 billion, which is down from the 1Q12 level of $11.67 billion and lower than our $11.84 billion estimate - with the net interest margin falling to 2.47% from 2.61% in 1Q12, and 2) the company's estimated Basel III tier 1 common capital ratio was 7.9%, down from the originally reported 1Q12 level of 8.4% and the restated 1Q12 level of 8.2%." Interested in more on JPMorgan Chase? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV