NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Stocks extended their losing streak on Wednesday after the minutes of the most recent Federal Reserve policy meeting showed the central bank still has a pretty high bar for another round of quantitative easing.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average lost nearly 49 points, or 0.38%, to close at 12,604. The blue-chip index, which bounced 70 points off its session low of 12,534, has fallen for five consecutive days, surrendering 2.6% over that span.
The Fed minutes showed the members of the central bank's open market committee were still expecting "moderate" economic growth for the United States over the next few quarters at the June 19-20 meeting and said only a "few" believed additional stimulus would ultimately be required. The Fed extended its Operation Twist bond maturity program at the meeting.In order for QE3 to get additional support, the minutes indicated economic conditions would likely have to soften considerably. "Several others
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV