NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Doug Kass wrote an excellent column last week for TheStreet's Real Money premium service. In "More Than Ever, Buy American," he outlined 10 reasons why he remains bullish on U.S. equities.
While I am not quite as optimistic as Kass, I do agree that the U.S. ranks near, if not at the top, of the best places to invest in the world.
It's only interesting in that it exposes the authors lack of knowledge about the auto industry, how does "The Street" screen these writers?Given the way the stock market gyrates these days, I'm not one to make much of short-term moves in stocks. That said, it's interesting to note that when that article was published, Ford shares were changing hands at $10.01 and GM shares were trading at $19.85. In Friday's trading, Ford shares dipped as low as $9.46 and ended the day at $9.59. GM fared a bit better, rebounding from an intraday low of $19.24 to close at $19.72. I expect further downside or, at the very least, range-bound stagnation in both names for the foreseeable future. It's about more than Europe, though. And it's certainly not about knowledge, or lack thereof, about the auto industry. That's a big mistake. Your "knowledge about the auto industry" will not take you all that far when selecting stocks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV